Thursday 16 December 2010

Australia Looks Broken But Can We Expect a Fightback



Day 1 of the third Ashes test completely belongs to England but my cricketing knowledge says that something drastic is going to happen in the remaining four days and Australia is going to battle hard. I am not saying that Australia is going to win this test match but expect better performance from them in comparison to Adelaide.

To start with, they need to show some patience in bowling and take all their catches. Yes, you heard it right! Australia is definitely struggling on the catching front and if they give chances to form players such as Cook and Pieterson, they are definitely going to struggle. Good thing for Australia is that Perth wicket is offering considerable amount of bounce and English batsman are not used to it. If they manage to get Strauss and Cook early, there is a strong possibility that middle order of England may struggle.

Although Johnson bowled just two overs today but whatever I saw of him, I am impressed. He has it in him to take four or five wickets in heap which is somewhat missing with Australian bowling attack. However, lack of spinner is going to cost Australia (Sorry but I don't rate Steven Smith as a leg spinner).

Being a Betfair user, one thing that kept on surprising me through out the day was the prize of England. Despite losing three early wickets, England was trading at more than 2.0 which was too high in my opinion. Current price of 1.67 on England also looks a bit high considering that Australia all out cheaply and day 2 and day 3 is widely been regarded as the best batting days in Perth. Draw price of 4.6 looks alright, though I think it is a price to lay especially if you have a big bank (I don't like betting on such prices, I prefer to bet on more than 1.50). Australian price of 5.3 will look big if they manage to get England out for less than 325. Trust me, it is going to be very difficult batting on Day 4 and Day 5 with cracks coming in.

No comments:

Post a Comment